Thursday 30 January 2014

Spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation.

First I must say that yesterday I made a 'typo' this was not made on purpose, so I could talk about something today. Perhaps if I had it could have been called 'pantsing,' but I didn't.

Do you have trouble with 'typos?' spelling mistakes or is it that things are spelt differently in different countries?
How do you deal with it?
Do you use proof readers?
Do you use your family or friends to help or pay professionals?

So many questions, I like to re read but still make mistakes, I don't use grammar programs should I?
I find that when I write my first draft not many mistakes happen, normally they tend to happen when I
re write. This is because I tend to change a word and then sometimes forget to re read the whole sentence. Yes I use spell checker, but if I spell a word correctly it is not underlined in red, but it could be the wrong tense, a bit like red and read. They both sound the same but have compete different meanings.

I find that reading out aloud is the best way to see if something runs, and if I can get someone else to read it aloud, then that is even better, because I can see where they breath. I then find that I can put the punctuation in correctly as well.

How many times have you read your own work and your eyes have self corrected the word, but on the written page the word stays wrongly spelt. If you have professional proof readers it would hoped that one of them would have picked it up.

I am very aware that I'm going to read through this blog to see if there are any words that have been misspelt in error. Of course if you are in the USA and you are reading an English author then some spelling are correct in one country but not in another. So if you write for the American market, do you have your computer set up for the correct spelling in that country?

Wow this has been a long session. Please give feed back, or questions.

IS this where I say I have two books out? And then put the link on the bottom of the page and ask you to have a look, OK it was a rhetorical question, here you are.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eight-Bites-life-Barry-Martin-ebook/dp/B00HSRJJEG

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eight-Short-Stories-Life-Laughter-ebook/dp/B00HN8UEJY

IF you enjoyed my blog please tell others, if you did not enjoy this blog please tell me.

Barry.

ps I changed load of my writing above, it made sense when I first wrote it, strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment